User Tools

Site Tools


1st_new_jersey_militia

The 1st New Jersey Militia in Howard County

Service at Relay House, 7/15/1864-8/12/1864

Primary Sources
Archival and Secondary Sources

FROM http://www.njstatelib.org/slic_files/searchable_publications/civilwar/NJCWn1441.html

“N.J. Civil War Record: Page 1441 Maryland Emergency. In the early part of July, 1864, the cities of Washington, D. C., and Baltimore, Md., were endangered by a threatened invasion of the enemy. A battle had been fought within a few miles of Baltimore, and communication with Washington had been interrupted. In view of this emergency the Governor of this State issued a proclamation dated Trenton, July 12, 1864, calling for the organization of the militia for thirty days' service in Pennsylvania, Maryland or the District of Columbia. Under the call this company reported for duty, was accepted, and mustered in at Camden, N. J., July 14, 1864, for thirty days. It left the State July 15, 1864, for Baltimore, Md., and on arrival reported to Major-General Lew Wallace, commanding Middle Department. It was stationed at the Relay House, below Baltimore, and was attached to the First Separate Brigade, Eighth Army Corps. Upon expiration of term of service it returned to New Jersey, and was mustered out at Camden, August 15, 1864.”

1st_new_jersey_militia.txt · Last modified: 2019/06/21 10:28 by admin